The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of the State of Alabama, commonly called the Grand Lodge of Alabama, is one of two Masonic grand lodges in the state (the other being the predominantly African American Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Alabama, founded in 1870.)
The Grand Lodge of Alabama was established in Cahawba, Alabama on June 11, 1821, with Thomas Wadsworth Farrar as its first Grand Master. Previous to the Grand Lodge’s formation, Masonic Lodges existed in the state under charters from the Grand Lodges of Louisiana, Kentucky, Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee. The creation of the Grand Lodge of Alabama provided unity and guaranteed that a common ritual was being performed during the degree work. The Grand Annual Communications have always been held at the state capital. They were held in December at Cahawha from 1821-1825. The location of the Grand Lodge meetings was moved to Tuscaloosa (1826-1846) and Montgomery (1847-present). Former Grand Masters of Alabama include Governors Rufus Cobb (1881-2) and Russell Cunningham (1900-1) and U. S. Senator John H. Bankhead (1883-4).
As of 2013, there were 291 active Lodges, with a total membership of 25,885.
On November 14, 2017, the Grand Lodge of Alabama voted to recognize the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Alabama.
Our News on Alabama Freemasons:
Alabama/U.S. – Annual Masonic Spaghetti Supper will take place Dec. 2 before Christmas Parade in Fort Morgan
Latest News from Grand Lodge of Alabama:
- The Successful Worshipful Master June 17, 2022Now that you have that Worshipful Master position… Taking a half-day management seminar is not going to teach you what you need to know about supervising people. In fact, the only way to really learn what it means to be a supervisor or manager is to be one. At the same time, it is important to go […]Ross Jackson
- Grand Lodge Financial Forecast December 1, 2021Click to open the Grand Lodge Financial Forecast.Ross Jackson
- 2021 Grand Lodge Annual Communication Pictures November 19, 2021Pictures from the 2021 Grand Lodge Annual Communication and the Master Mason Degree Monday night.Ross Jackson
- 2020 Proceedings Now Available November 5, 2021Brethren, Please be advised that the proceedings of the 2020 Annual Communication are now available within Grandview. Simply login, and select “Resources”. On the resources page, you may find the proceedings under the “Master Mason” section.Joel Bryant
- Notice of our 2021 Annual Communication September 24, 2021Please be advised by receipt of this notification that the 2021 Annual Communication of your Grand Lodge will take place at the Embassy Suites Hotel / Convention facility in downtown Montgomery, Alabama on November 9th and 10th 2021. Grand Lodge registration credentials and related information for the Lodges will be forth coming in the near […]Joel Bryant