The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of the State of Alabama, commonly called the Grand Lodge of Alabama, is one of two Masonic grand lodges in the state (the other being the predominantly African American Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Alabama, founded in 1870.)
The Grand Lodge of Alabama was established in Cahawba, Alabama on June 11, 1821, with Thomas Wadsworth Farrar as its first Grand Master. Previous to the Grand Lodge’s formation, Masonic Lodges existed in the state under charters from the Grand Lodges of Louisiana, Kentucky, Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee. The creation of the Grand Lodge of Alabama provided unity and guaranteed that a common ritual was being performed during the degree work. The Grand Annual Communications have always been held at the state capital. They were held in December at Cahawha from 1821-1825. The location of the Grand Lodge meetings was moved to Tuscaloosa (1826-1846) and Montgomery (1847-present). Former Grand Masters of Alabama include Governors Rufus Cobb (1881-2) and Russell Cunningham (1900-1) and U. S. Senator John H. Bankhead (1883-4).
As of 2013, there were 291 active Lodges, with a total membership of 25,885.
On November 14, 2017, the Grand Lodge of Alabama voted to recognize the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Alabama.
Our News on Alabama Freemasons:
Latest News from Grand Lodge of Alabama:
- Notice of our 2021 Annual Communication September 24, 2021Please be advised by receipt of this notification that the 2021 Annual Communication of your Grand Lodge will take place at the Embassy Suites Hotel / Convention facility in downtown Montgomery, Alabama on November 9th and 10th 2021. Grand Lodge registration credentials and related information for the Lodges will be forth coming in the near […]Joel Bryant
- Election of Officers: Commitment & Responsibilities May 18, 2021When presenting a paper, ideas, or observations it is easy to get into a “preaching mode”. Please believethat in doing this paper for the 3rd or 4th time it has been a chore to avoid just that! I am and will attempt to convey by my own experience and observationswhat I have learned and observed through almost 49 years of being a member of this fraternity as it deals with the […]Ross Jackson
- Bicentennial Celebration – June 12, 2021 May 6, 2021Please be advised by receipt of this notification that the 2021 Bicentennial Celebration of your Grand Lodge will take place at the Embassy Suites Hotel / Convention facility in downtown Montgomery, Alabama on June 11th, 2021 and at Old Cahawba Archaeological Park, 9518 Cahaba Road, Orrville, AL 36767 on June 12th, 2021.Joel Bryant
- The Tenets of Our Order Are Brotherly Love, Relief, and Truth February 8, 2021On January 25th , a tornado ripped through the Fultondale and New Castle Communities in northern Jefferson County, barely missing the Gardendale Lodge, but causing massive destruction to the neighboring communities and taking the life of a 14-year-old boy. It is disasters like these when we, as Masons, can exercise these important tenets in our […]Ross Jackson
- Grand Master’s Social Media Message January 13, 2021January 13, 2021 Brethren, if you have not reviewed the Social Media Policy lately, I encourage you to do so. While posting on the internet can be fun, rewarding, and educational, at times it can be challenging, especially when engaged in a subject near and dear to your heart. Emotions can sometimes get in the […]Ross Jackson